Friday, July 27, 2007

From the Pastor

During the month of August, a small group of members are joining me in a book discussion. The book we are reading is called Giving to God by Mark Allan Powell. Dr. Powell asks an interesting set of questions about why we give to God.

Do you write a check to Zion Lutheran because you are worried about meeting the budget? Do you put money in the offering plate because it is a great way to empty your wallet?

I think not. We give because it is a way to offer our thanks to God for all that he has given us. The problem is that lots of us think giving $5 a week or less to God is an adequate way to say thanks.

Giving is an act of worship that is to take us beyond duty to delight. When we enjoy giving our money away, we may come close to an actual love offering. So when the plate comes by in worship remember, like the creed here is another way of saying “I love Jesus.”

My mother taught me a long time ago that the main reason for going to church is not getting my own needs met. The main reason, the most important reason for going to church, is to worship God.
See you at worship,
Pastor Otto

No comments: